I love omelettes. All you need is an egg or two, add a few choice ingredients
and voila, you have a quick, delicious and filling meal. Unfortunately, we haven't
had omelettes in a long time due to family food allergies.
I dubbed this the Un-Omelette because someone looked at the ingredients then
asked, "Are you preparing an omelette?" I weakly replied, "Sort of"… Admittedly,
I created this dish because we were finally down to our last batch of holiday ham.
Plus, we had this bowl of cauliflower that was taking days to finish. Oh what a relief
to have consumed all the holiday food, with nothing gone to waste.
Ham, Potatoes and Cauliflower Un-Omelette
* 2 potatoes, diced
* 2 tablespoons olive oil
* 1/2 medium white onion, chopped
* 6 slices ham, cut to bite size pieces
*1/3 cup cauliflower, chopped
* 1/4 cup milk
* grated or sliced cheese
- Place potatoes in a pan. Add water just enough for potatoes to get covered.
Boil until half done. Set aside the half-done potatoes including its boiling liquid.
- In the same pan, add the olive oil. Add the onions and saute until translucent.
Add the ham and saute for a few minutes.
- Add the cauliflower, the potatoes and the boiling liquid. Cover and cook until
the vegetables are cooked. Add water as needed.
- Pour in the milk and add the cheese. Stir for 1 more minute. Season with salt
and pepper if necessary.
I was quite happy with how this turned out. I'm considering creating more
Un-Omelette combinations. I think it's important that you pre-boil the potatoes.
The boiling liquid helps thicken the sauce. I also skipped the salt, I felt the
ham and cheese had enough salt for the entire dish. No, the ham was not the
salted kind; I just prefer my dishes low sodium style.
I sometimes get asked about what goes in our kitchen. Foodie Fridays is a
peek at what gets served at our dining table.