Wednesday, September 1, 2010

8 Things You Can Do for Your Houseguests

Today is the start of the "ber" season. That means only one thing - Christmas
is just around the corner. Today also marks the start of my Preparing for the
Holidays 2010 posts.

I hope my Preparing for the Holidays 2010 posts will help make your Christmas
Planning an enjoyable experience!

Let me start with: 8 Things You Can Do for Your Houseguests

Any Pinoy can attest to the fact that we have a culture of having family and
friends stay over at our homes. Normally, it's a balikbayan (a term for a
Filipino based overseas who's gone home to the Philippines for one reason or
another) who's visiting for the Holidays. Here's a great article that will
help you provide your loved ones with a more comfortable stay:

8 Things Your Houseguests Wont Tell You:

"If you haven't gone into the guest bedroom since you stored last season's
clothes, it's time for a quick makeover. Here are room-decorating ideas that
will fix any faux pas, just in time for weekend visitors.

1. My water glass left a ring on the bedside table.

When you look for a nightstand, choose one that you don't have to worry
about. If you want people to feel relaxed and comfortable, you can help
by designing their room to be as low-maintenance as possible. A table
with a glass top won't leave rings.

2. After turning out the lights, I bruised my knee climbing into bed.

Instead of harsh overhead lighting, try bedside sconces. Not only do they
cast a soft, soothing light, guests won't have to negotiate their way back
to bed in an unfamiliar space.

3. I'm hungry.

Guests don't want to be caught rummaging through your fridge. Leaving a
small piece of fruit, like an orange or an apple, will curb their craving
for a midnight snack.

4. I woke up at the crack of dawn.

Blackout shades are a great option for guest rooms. They work well when
you want to sleep in late, and can also create a darkened, cool room on
a summer afternoon.

5. I hate the giant bouquet.

Don't overwhelm a tiny table with a large bouquet. Just a few buds will
give guests enough room to place their essentials — and won't bring on
an onslaught of allergies.

6. I worry about waking you up.

Guests won't fret about walking around on creaking floors or disturbing
you every time they get up if you throw down a plush rug. It also helps
to warm up the space.

7. I'm really cold at night, or I'm uncomfortably hot.

Here's the secret to a perfectly prepared bed: Start with great cotton
sheets, add a cotton coverlet, then finish with a down duvet on top. That
combination offers enough flexibility to deal with the most extreme
temperature swings. Think a down comforter is pricey? Check Ikea for
affordable ones.

8. I can't find a place to charge my phone.

Guests shouldn't have to scramble down on all fours in order to find an
outlet. Add a conveniently placed power strip or a docking station.

- Yahoo"

No comments:

Post a Comment