Friday, February 17, 2012

Easy Tomato Soup


Some days I'm inspired to cook. On those days, you'll find me browsing
through my favorite sites, looking for something new to whip up for the
family. On other days... Well, let's just say the easiest dish to cook will do.

Easy Tomato Soup is just what it is, Tomato Soup plus your favorite
ingredients. It can be light or hearty, refreshing or comforting, simple
or complex; it all depends on what you decide to put in it for the day.


Easy Tomato Soup

* 1-2 tbsp olive oil
* 1/2 medium white onion, chopped
* 3 cloves garlic, chopped
* 250g beef
* 1 can tomatoes (your favorite kind)
* 1 celery stalk, cubed
* 2 medium potatoes, cubed
* 2 medium carrots, cubed
* 1 cup beef stock
* herbs (optional)
* Worcestershire Sauce (optional)

- In a sauce pot, drizzle the olive oil. Saute the onions until soft. Add the 
garlic and saute until soft.
- Add the beef. Saute until half cooked. Season with a little salt and pepper.
Add a few drops of the Worcestershire Sauce. Continue sauteeing until 
almost done.
- Add the veggies and saute for 1 minute.
- Add the canned tomatoes and the beef stock. Add a dash or so of your 
favorite herbs. Season with salt and pepper (if needed).
- Simmer with the lid on for 10-15 minutes or until the veggies are cooked.
Serves 4-5


Oh yes, I usually slice up the celery into sticks. I know a lot of people 
who find celery overpowering. Slicing them up into sticks makes it
easier for eaters and non-eaters alike.

The kind of canned tomatoes you use plus the combination of herbs you 
put changes the "regionality" of the soup. The last time I served this soup, 
I used regular canned tomatoes and Italian Herbs. The soup was yummy 
in an Italian way.

Today, I decided to use the extra can of Mexican Style canned tomatoes.
H bought them when they were on special. This seemed like the safest
recipe to try it on. I sauteed onions, garlic, and red kidney beans. I added
the tomatoes and a cup of water. This result was a nice Vegetarian Chili Soup.


I sometimes get asked about what goes in our kitchen. Foodie Fridays is a
peek at what gets served at our dining table.


No comments:

Post a Comment